Rhytidectomy Aftercare: Do’s and Don’ts
Rhytidectomy or a facelift is a cosmetic surgical procedure that is used to make a person look younger by tightening facial skin. The procedure is done surgically and involves making incisions on the facial area. Aftercare plays a very important role since the stitches need to heal for at least a few weeks after the procedure.
The following are some do’s and don’ts related to aftercare. Patients recovering from a facelift need to strictly follow these do’s and don’ts.
The following are things to do:
- Have someone take you home after the surgery and assist you for at least the first day after the surgery, as you need to take full rest.
- Take sufficient rest especially for the first few days.
- Sleep with your head elevated to ensure quick healing.
- Go for a light walk in the house or in the garden to keep the muscles stretched and to promote proper blood circulation.
- For showers, be sure to follow the instructions given by your doctor.
- Take all the medication prescribed by the doctor without fail.
- Use ice compresses to get relief from pain.
- Visit the doctor for follow-up as per their instructions.
- Wear clothes that you can put on without pulling it over your head.
- Be patient, a minimum of 10 days is needed for complete recovery.
- Follow all the instructions of the doctor without fail.
The following are things not to do:
- Avoid showers for the first week or as per the doctor’s instructions.
- Don’t touch your face too much, so as to avoid irritation during the first week.
- Makeup should not be used for the first week.
- Don’t sleep on the side or do anything to increase pressure on the face.
- Don’t indulge in any physical activity for at least two weeks. Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Avoid direct exposure to the sun. If you have to go out, use sunscreen, or wear a hat.
- Avoid going out for social occasions for at least 2-3 weeks.
- Don’t smoke or consume alcohol.
- Avoid steam baths and sauna visits.
Following the do’s and don’ts listed will ensure that aftercare happens smoothly and you will recover as fast as possible.