Things to Consider Before Scheduling a Consultation for an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
Published on March 6, 2015 by Paul Rottler
Before Scheduling an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) Consultation Consider the Following:
- Check your BMI (body mass index), this is your height to weight ratio. A good surgical candidate must have a BMI under 30. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
- An abdominoplasty is not a weight loss procedure. It is used to tighten the abdominal wall muscles and remove excess fat and skin from the abdomen region. Candidates should be at or near their ideal body weight.
- Patients must be nicotine free for at least four weeks before and four weeks after surgery. If you use nicotine you must be able to quit.
- Future pregnancy is not recommended following an abdominoplasty procedure. The results can be compromised.
- Insurance does not generally cover the procedure. An abdominoplasty is considered a cosmetic procedure and not a necessity.